Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tick tick tick...

That's the sound of a timebomb about to go off, that timebomb is none other than yours truly. I've gotten to the point where not only do I have to close one eye in order to avoid the usual annoyances of Roman life, I almost have to close both eyes - and believe me, it ain't easy walking around with both eyes closed.
Little things really can make or break your daily life, some of you may think it's petty or insane or extreme, but after x years, this shit will get to you, or at least it gets to me!
Setting of today's annoyance: a grocery store I've never been to before. I get 3-4 items and stand in the single long line, assuming there is only one line because there are about 10 people ahead of me, so I figure they are in the ONLY line.
Enter: pushy old (but not elderly) Italian woman who shoves past me to a secret cash register. So I loudly ask "Are there two registers?" She turns around with a sneaky grin and says "Of course", and bolts ahead. Breathe in, breathe out. "Excuse ma'am, maybe you should let these people go ahead of you" (I'm referring to those 3-4 people with surprised looks on their faces who, like myself, obviously had no idea there were two lines because they couldn't see the other register and because I HIGHLY doubt they'd be standing in the long line for fun).
And what does Mrs. Simpatica say? Come on, I know you know! "It's not my fault all of you didn't know there are two lines, plus I only have these (she holds up her two items)". I said, "Well, I only have these, and this woman only has those!" Mrs. Simpatica doesn't give a shit, neither does the cashier. She steps right up to the register all the same. Oh well... So I, much like a UN Peacekeeper, help move part of the line- in the order they were in- to the secret register and say to Mrs. Simpatica "Too bad some people don't have respect for others, but as we all know what goes around comes around".
I can't help myself, I cannot just stand by and watch blatant rudeness without commenting- especially because it is sooooo rampant here. Let's just say I'm very glad firearms aren't easily obtainable here, or else...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I've been "Ms. Simpatica" in this situation when I was living back in NYC (blush). Not nice I guess, but I figured if those people didn't see that there was another line that's their problem not mine (I guess you can see that I'm a native NYer definitely not a "nice" midwesterner or something!) So that kind of stuff doesn't bother me...Other things, but not that.

kataroma

Romerican said...

kataroma
well, i'm not a "nice" midwesterner either, and i'm not a native NYer (close but not quite) but i still like to apply the golden rule to my daily routine... do unto others as you would have others do unto you- WORD!
i'll be sure to look out for you in the check-out lines then (=

Roam2Rome said...

Today I was reading blogs from Expats in other countries, and they go through this, too! a-l-l the time! This phenomenon is not limited to Italy, though still frustrating, I'm sure.

I wonder if its an expat thing, hmmm....