Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer cinema

Although it's sad to see most of the movie theaters in Rome close for the summer, the outdoor movie venues usually make up for it by offering quite a range of films to see. I meant to post about this sooner but got distracted:
In Villa Borghese at the Casa del Cinema they are showing musicals in ENGLISH with Italian subtitles for FREE till the end of the month (hurry!). I'm not a big fan of musicals but there are some classics in the lineup that are worth seeing. Me & my crew went to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show and were rather surprised that 75% of the audience was made up of elderly folks. I guess they just read "free" and wanted to sit outside because they certainly did not enjoy the flick (looking around with horrified faces, getting up and leaving half way through)!
Piazza Vittorio's outdoor cinema venue is very impressive! They've set up 2 screens (with double features) and have a good selections of films and it's on until September 5th. One Italian flick I'd recommend in the July schedule is Tutta la Vita Davanti.
Then there's my all time favorite Isola del Cinema. I just love this venue so much, how can you beat the location- an island in the Tiber River! Great place to see a flick, stroll around, have a drink, or just people watch.

3 comments:

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

I've never made it to the out door cinema before...Maybe this time I'll have to venture out.

I did see Tutti la vita davanti however at my cheap cinema in San Paolo the other day. Little hard for me to understand it all, but luckily I new the storyline and situation with employment in Italy before hand so I could follow most of it! (and had to whisper to bel ragazzo a few times when I was a little confused!)

Anonymous said...

I went to l'Isola del Cinema last summer and partook of said people watching. It's just a block or so away from the Trastevere apartment where I stayed, and is a great place to wander and spend a lazy summer evening. Glad you mentioned it!

Romerican said...

Leanne- The dialogue in Tutta la Vita davanti isn't exactly the easiest to follow for a non-fluent speaker, so props to you for following most of it!

Rose- The isola is great, isn't it? In the past few years they've really beefed it up, adding stands on both sides of the banks and there's usually a pool too! The riverbanks used to be really nasty & seedy so you can imagine how happy we were to see them cleaned up and put to good use.